- About Infrabel
- Rail operators
- Suppliers & contractors
In Belgium, rail safety is based on the driver's compliance with trackside signalling. Therefore, his compliance with trackside signalling is one of the key aspects of rail safety in Belgium.
Signals are the most visible part of the signalling installations. They act as the interface between the signalman and the driver.
These signals include:
- Fixed signalling, comprising signs providing information, especially about the speed to be respected in the areas the train travels through.
- Light signals, comprising 2 yellow lights, a green light and a red light.
- the green signal allows trains to pass.
- the red signal prohibits this.
- the double yellow signal announces that the next signal will be red.
- different combinations of these lights are also possible imposing additional restrictions on drivers.